Who said that the small and medium-sized structures do not communicate?

Questionnaire carried out in autumn 2013 by vademecom with around thirty French small and medium-sized enterprises.

Curious to understand better how communication is organized within small and medium-sized structures, we launched a survey last October on the theme ” does your company communicate? “. We propose here the main teachings.

Current situation

External communication: OK

Business cards and sales brochures are always successful and it’s for the best as nothing is worth a face-to-face presentation to give confidence, envy and to convince his/her interlocutor.
Web also stands out as a “must-have “. With 88 % of the respondents endowed with a web site and 68 % with company profiles on social networks, the Internet is at the core of the companies’ business development strategies. But be careful on certain pitfalls. It is absolutely necessary to pay attention to its online image (clarity, consistency and homogeneity of messages) and to keep the dialogue with its consumers alive.
To know more about the subject, read our article on the subject:
http://www.vademecom.net/en/lentreprise-sera-2-0-si-plan-de-com-il-y-a/

What about internal communications?
Internal communications is clearly at the outskirts of the respondents concerns. Very few internal events are organized; only 25% have deployed an internal communication tool to relay the company’s essential information to their employees (internal magazine, newsletter).
We can consider that the internal communication within a company of 5 people is more nimble than in larger structures. However, let’s not neglect the “official” communication delivered by a manager to its employees.
Whatever the size of the company, each employee needs to be able to fit its activity into a bigger plan, into a strategy that is regularly explained. To give meaning to work allows for bigger motivation, thus more productivity.

The expressed needs
Consistent with the mapping of existing tools, the communications needs are mainly focused on the external: development of web tools, implementation of press relations programs, development of customers / partners relations. A large part of the respondents are ready to entrust those tasks to external providers.

The needs we recommend
On top of consolidating external positioning, we would insist on the necessity to implement internal communications tools. No need to envisage a 32-pages quarterly internal magazine. But there is room for a short 2-pages internal newsletter, which would summarize all the latest key facts, the company’s results, the projects and successes. Or, at least, the distribution of e-mails focusing on actions that delivered good results, the signing of a new contract or a proven good idea.
Internal communication can take various shapes; it adapts and changes according to the company’s developments … the key point being to remember that a company cannot progress without its employees.

Finally, to finish on a short anecdote, 91% of respondents approved the need for communicating through the question: “why don’t you communicate?” It sounds as a relief and a roadmap … we will concentrate on convincing the remaining 9% that it is critical for a company to communicate externally … and internally!